|Baked Eggs with Asparagus and Mint|
Butter, heavy cream, a bit of garlic, fresh asparagus, farm fresh eggs, a big pinch of grated Parmagiano-Reggiano and fresh mint make a wonderfully delightful combination.
The recipe is also easily adaptable. I mix up the ingredients to reflect the seasons and to use what I already have on hand. This is fabulous with marjoram, a bit of diced tomato and crumbled bacon. Wherever your creativity takes you make sure to serve this with crusty bread, a light salad and a bottle of good wine for a memorable and satisfying dinner.
Baked Eggs with Asparagus and Mint
4 farm fresh eggs
8 stalks of fresh asparagus, lightly steamed and chopped
1 toe of garlic, finely minced
Fresh Mint, finely shredded
Organic heavy cream
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Place a teaspoon of butter and a bit of garlic in each of two shallow ramekins.
3. Place ramekins in the oven until butter melts; carefully remove from the oven.
4. Gently slide two eggs into each of the ramekins.
5. Pour in heavy cream until just the a bit of the whites and the yolks can still be seen.
6. Evenly distribute the chopped asparagus, over the whites, but being careful to leave the yolks exposed.
7. Sprinkle on the Parmagiano-Reggiano, a bit of salt and a few turns f cracked black pepper.
8. Carefully return to the oven and bake until the whites are set, the cream turns to the texture of a custard, but the yolks are just medium and slightly runny. The time will depend on your oven, but I usually pull mine out around the 5 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and top with the fresh mint.