|Peach Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream|
I, however, know with crystal clear certainty why peaches creeped me out: they were covered in fuzz and in my mind, that was too close to my pet cat to afford me any comfort. But, if my mother removed the skins and tossed the peaches in sugar, I could forget about the fuzzy part and delve right into their juicy sweetness.
On both accounts, thankfully, my adult taste buds kicked in and I enjoy both fish and peaches on a regularl basis, though not together—that would be creepy.
Mr. B has a bit of a sweet-tooth, so I like to hook him up with something sweet to satiate his cravings. Unfortunately, baking is usually the last thing I think about since my mind is pretty much always situated in creating savory dishes. Lucky for Mr. B, a bag of frozen peaches, some oats, brown sugar and butter and a few spices go together quickly to make a peach crisp. Add a little vanilla ice cream and some late night TV and you've got yourself a perfect ending to a great day.
1 bag frozen peaches
1 stick butter, straight from the fridge
1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour plus 2 tablespoons
3/4 cup oats
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
pinch of nutmeg
1. Place peaches in a baking dish. Add vanilla and stir.
2. Top peaches with 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar; toss to coat.
3. In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugars, spices and salt.
4. Cut chilled butter into pieces and with two forks, work the butter into the flour mixture until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
5. Pour flour mixture on top of peaches and gently pat down.
6. Bake in a 350º oven until peaches are bubbly and topping is golden brown and crisp.
7. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
8. Scoop into bowls and serve with vanilla ice cream.