Since I like the fresh flavors so much and the ingredients are easily available, I whipped up my version of the California roll, except I used shrimp, instead of fake crab meat, and instead of complicating my life by trying to roll and cut my creation, I serve it atop mixed greens with brown rice, sesame seeds and avocado. This satisfies my cravings without the expense—or disappointment. It's well worth putting on your menu, particularly when the mercury starts rising.
Shrimp California Bowl
cooked brown rice
chopped green onions
1. Layer mixed greens in a salad bowl; top with brown rice.
2. Arrange shrimp and avocado over the rice.
3. Drizzle with the juice from the jar of pickled ginger.
4. Top with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
5. Mix together a dab of wasabi and soy sauce; drizzle over salad.
6. Serve with pickled ginger.