|Steak Tacos with Pineapple and Mango Salsa|
A while back when we were grilling steaks, I had one of those moments of epiphany where the food angels appeared singing right before my eyes. Then the flash went off and I had a brainstorm: I would always cook an extra steak and that would give me a realm of dinner possibilities later in the week, and would give me a quick out in case I hadn't really planned anything for dinner at all.
That extra steak has come in handy for so many great meals from quesadillas to steak sandwiches to steak and eggs. One way that I like to utilize the extra streak is to thinly slice it, whip up an exotic salsa and warm a few corn tortillas. It goes beyond being tasty, but all the colors give it a visual pop and since we eat with our eyes, it's a great plate to see in front of you.
I like to think these steak tacos with pineapple and mango salsa are a real treat for Mr. B, but if I'm just reaching here, then I'm happy to say that they are so good that they can tame a rattlesnake and that's not half bad.
Pineapple Mango Salsa
1 cup fresh pineapple, medium dice
1 mango, medium dice
1 avocado, peeled and finely diced
5 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
2 tablespoons green onion tops, finely minced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely minced
salt and pepper
rice wine vinegar
1/2 lime squeezed
1. Mix together all of the ingredients, except the avocado. Stir and let sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
2. Just before serving, add the avocado and gently stir.
3. Serve on tacos are serve with corn chip and cold beer.
Leftover sliced steak, gently warmed
thinly sliced red onion
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small handful of cilantro leaves, stems removed
warm corn tortillas
1. To assemble: take a corn tortilla and fill with a few strips of steak, a smattering of red onions, a tablespoon of black beans and a few cilantro leaves.
2. Top each taco with two big spoons of the pineapple mango salsa.
3. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.