|A Hearty Pasta Salad|
The truth is,there are all sorts of things that fit the criteria, but they aren't necessarily man friendly. Translation: they're not full of meat and cheese and fat--all key ingredients in ensuring that a woman has a pleasant hike/car ride without falling victim to hungry man syndrome. You know the situation--a man's eyes narrow, his pupils darken and before you know it his demeanor changes and his sense of humor is non-existent.
Now, I'm not saying that I've ever seen this happen to Mr. B, but then again, I'm not saying I haven't. I will say that when I say that whenever I happen to pack this recipe up for one of our jaunts, I always have a good time. Another bonus of this delectable and hearty salad is that you can change the ingredients up depending on the season and your individual tastes.
Hearty Pasta Salad
- 1 package refrigerated tortellini (proscuttio is especially good)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup chopped salami
- 1/4 cup quartered, pitted black olives, such as Kalamata
- 1/2 cup drained, rinsed canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup minced orange pepper
- 1/3 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced green onion tops
- 3 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 1 handful, stemmed chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl.
2. Top tortellini with minced garlic, olive oil and lemon.
3. Add parsley, basil and green onions.
4. Add parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and salami; stir to combine.
5. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste.
6. Add additional olive oil if desired.
7. Serve at room temperature.