Lover Come Back
|Keep Him Home with Crispy Pork and Potato Hash with Eggs|
Monday mornings are hard enough on their own, but when Mr. B wakes up energized and ready to tackle the world, I need a trick or two up my sleeve to keep him home long enough for a good conversation and a few cups of coffee. Nothing slows his step more quickly than the possibility of a hearty breakfast, especially on a cold winter morning and if it includes pork, I'm all but guaranteed a relaxed and leisurely start to my day.
There's nothing wrong with a pile of crispy bacon or a few slices of ham fried up in a pan and served with eggs and toast, but a much better option is a quick breakfast hash. It can be tossed together in under 5 minutes, cooks in one pan and best of all, uses up any weekend leftovers.
My crispy pork hash is a delicious mix of chopped leftover pork roast, diced roasted potatoes, onions, garlic, and even a handful of shredded sharp cheddar. Once the hash is sufficiently crisp, push to the side and fry a few eggs, cooking as desired, then slip everything onto a plate, pour another cup of coffee, and cozy up at the breakfast table with your lover.
Mel's Crispy Pork Hash
1 cup of coarsely chopped leftover pork roast
2-3 smallish cold roasted potatoes, diced
1/4 yellow onion, minced
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
olive or vegetable oil
shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet until hot.
2. Toss in pork, potatoes, onion, and garlic and cook until crisp; push to the side.
3. Top hash with a generous handful of sharp cheddar.
4. Add a bit more oil to the skillet and fry the eggs until cooked to preference.
5. To serve, pile hash onto plate and top with eggs, fresh ground pepper and a pinch or two of salt.
6. Serve with toasted rustic bread and piping hot coffee with cream.